Have you ever done a Yoni Steam aka Vaginal Steaming? If you’re not familiar with yoni steams get ready to be wowed! Yoni steaming isn’t some kind of new fad or strange trend. Yoni steaming is THE most ancient form of female self care which serves to revitalize the uterus, for a healthier cycle.
What is a Yoni Steam?
Let’s clear up the big question that’s on your mind straight away – ‘What is a Yoni Steam?’
Simply put, a Yoni Steam is like a facial steam but for your lady parts.
This ancient practice involves sitting over a pot of herb infused warm water and allowing the steam to tone, soften and rejuvenate both the interior and exterior realms. Yoni steaming is a simple traditional remedy that we, modern day women, can call upon to naturally treat some of the challenges associated with the menstrual cycle.
It’s not …
A yoni steam is NOT the same as douching. The purpose of a Yoni steam is NOT to clean your vagina. Your vagina by design isn’t dirty. That’s why I always remind women to not use soaps inside their vagina
Goes by many names…
- In Western cultures it is known as Vaginal Steam , V-Steam
- The Mayans call it Bajo which means low in Spanish
- The Koreans call it Chai-Yok
- Yoni (योनि) is Sanskrit for vagina and womb, it can be translated as the origin of life and is the symbol of the Hindu Goddess Devi.
In many cultures worldwide yoni steaming has remained a well-respected ritual for supporting all aspects of women’s wellness – from the physical, to the emotional and spiritual. Yoni steaming is truly an ancient remedy that has stood the test of time.
How to do one at home
You can easily do your vaginal steam in the comfort of your own home, here’s how…
1)Prepare your steaming station
- Use a Yoni Steam chair and place a bowl under it
- Use a steel beverage tub which you will squat over
- Sanitise your toilet and place a steel sitz bath or heat safe bowl into the bowl of your toilet
2)Prepare the herbal infusion
- Place herbs in a tea ball
- Bring 1.5L / 6 cups water to a boil in a pot then turn off heat
- Place tea ball with herbs in the pot and cover
- Steep herbs for 10 minutes in the water
- Remove tea ball from the pot
- Remove pot from the stove and transfer the herbal infusion (tea) to your steaming station ie pour the infusion into a bowl for placing under your steam chair, or into your beverage tub or into your sitz bath in your toilet.
3)Perform the Yoni Steam
Test the heat level before sitting over the steam. To do this, place your palm over the steam, it should feel pleasant, like a warm bath. If it’s not allow it to cool down. Once the temperature is satisfactory proceed with your steam.
- Disrobe from the waist down and wrap a large blanket or towel around your waist to contain the steam.
- Wear warm socks or slippers. It’s important to keep your feet warm.
- Steam your yoni for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.
- Stay hydrated. Have a drink of water before, during and after your steam.
What to do while you steam
This is a great time to relax so you might consider …
- Writing in a journal
- listening to a guided meditation
- Setting some intentions for yourself.
- Once the time has passed try to remain wrapped and lie down for a nap. Remember that yoni steaming is a form of self care so don’t rush it!
How often should I steam?
Yoni steams can be done two to three times per month (except while menstruating). As you begin to incorporate yoni steaming into your self care routine, you’ll notice a powerful reconnection with your womb and a more pleasant bleed.
Yoni Steam for Fertility
Yoni steaming may be used to treat unexplained infertility. Often in the case of unexplained infertility there is old residue lining the walls of the uterus which can interfere with implantation. Yoni steaming can help to clear the walls of your uterus and increases circulation of the blood.
Yoni steaming is an age-old remedy that has been tested and proven by generations before us and there aren’t many drawbacks to a yoni steam providing you follow a few simple precautions.
Do not try on your own if you:
- are pregnant or there is a chance that you’re pregnant
- are menstruating
- have any sort of infection
- have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- have any open cuts, wounds, stitches and or sores
- have any chronic reproductive condition
Some more precautions
- Always be sure the steam temperature is mild so as to avoid scalding.
- If you have genital piercings remove them prior to steaming because they may heat and possibly cause burning.
- Do NOT use essential oils for steaming.
- Be aware that your first cycle after steaming may be heavier and darker, this is a sign that your body had to purge all that “excess” out before it can feel light and healthy!
Yoni Steam herbs
You can experience the benefits of a Yoni Steam without the use of herbs. It is the steam that is truly powerful and has the potential to bring you relief. The herbs are simply the icing on the cake and may offer additional healing properties.
That said I have included a universal herbal blend recipe that should work for women WITHOUT any present chronic condition. You can find it below.
Please note that it is not within my scope of practice as a Health Coach to give recommendations for specific conditions. Seek the advice of a naturopath or herbalist.
List of Yoni Steam herbs
The following herbs can be used for all-around yoni health and preventative care. Again if you wish to treat a specific condition I recommend you consult a naturopath or herbalist to get the best herb combination for you.
DIY Yoni Steam Herbs Recipe
The following recipe is a combination of herbs which are beneficial for all-around yoni health and preventative care.
For further education on this topic please take time to listen to the following podcasts :
Fertility Friday Podcast with Dr Rosita Arvigo. Dr Arvigo is a Doctor of Naprapathy, an herbalist, an international lecturer, and an author and teacher of Maya medicine.
The Heavy Flow Podcast with Keli Garza owner of Steamy Chick the home of all things vaginal steaming
The information shared in this article is based upon my own experience and what I have been taught through the Peristeam Hydrotherapy Institute. This information is not a claim to diagnose, treat or cure any illness or injury. Nor is it a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional. If you are interested in a yoni steam for a chronic condition, I recommend you consult a naturopath or herbalist to get the best herb combination for you.